Saturday, April 4, 2009

Get With the Purple Berry


I have recently become a lover of the purple berry that hails from Brazil called açaí (pronounced ah-sigh-ee). Usually a creature of habit when it comes to my food/snack cravings, I let my favorite ice cream/smoothie owner convince me to try açaí since he just started serving it. First it started with the sample and I thought how delicious it tasted and after a long day of shopping, I was in a much-needed mood for a cold and refreshing smoothie. So instead of ordering my usual nonfat strawberry and banana smoothie with no whip cream, I ordered the açaí smoothie and was a very happy girl.

The only thing I know about açaí is that the fruit is from Brazil and it is in fact loaded with antioxidants. Another incentive of ordering it besides the taste of the yummy berry. While I waited for them to blend my drink, I also noticed another thing that was a SCORE (imo anyway!): Sambazon Açaí Energy Drink!!! I am well aware of how bad excess amounts of caffeine is for the body but there are frequent moments when I need a boost from all the studying, working, reading, worrying, etc. that can let me function and use up the time just a little bit more because I have to stay up and really need to stay up to get things done. I'm usually a Red Bull fan because I actually do enjoy the sweet taste that sometimes reminds me of strawberry jello before it has been chilled. 

The owner told me to make sure the energy drink was chilled and he guaranteed me it would taste like wine and let me tell you, oh boy, oh boy, it did taste like wine and went down easily not like that gross Monster energy drink I really don't like.

Overall review: A+

Some information on açaí taken from Sambazon:

1. Grown in the Amazon rainforest, açaí has a rich berry-cocoa flavor that makes it taste amazing and is packed with more antioxidants than blueberries or pomegranates (!), plus loads of healthy Omega fats, proteins and dietary fiber.

2. Antioxidant strength: strawberry < blueberry < pomegranate < açaí

3. Studies have shown how the French and Mediterranean diets, rich in red wine and olive oil, help maintain healthy heart, body, brain and skin. Organic açaí combines the best of both diets with 30x the antioxidants of red wine, and an essential fatty acid profile similar to olive oil. A potent combination your body shouldn't go without.

No comments:

Post a Comment