Saturday, March 21, 2009

8 Foods of Overindulgence


8 foods we eat too much of without realizing it (according to MSN Health & Fitness article):

1. Pizza
2. Salad Dressing (Blue Cheese)
3. Ice Cream
4. Orange Juice
5. Soft Drinks
6. White Rice
7. Potato Chips
8. Hamburgers

Thoughts:
1. I have been enjoying pepperoni pizza lately (probably as a result of intense studying), especially on a multigrain crust. The best pizza I thought I had was when I was in Chicago, but the pizza in NY (when I was in Niagara Falls) beat the Chi-town one. 

2. I always order a vinaigrette dressing because I hate ranch dressing and blue cheese so much. I'll have that when I am desperately hungry. But I'd rather have thousand islands before ranch.

3. I'm pretty good about eating ice cream. 

4. Surprising to me since I never look at the label to check the calories in a glass of OJ. I love orange juice but usually have it in the morning anyway since I load up on water and caffeine during the day and night. 

5. Rarely drink soda. I'll only have a few sips when I'm in the mood and when I have a cheeseburger or pizza. I never order cocktails with soda either. 

6. I'll only have a small portion of white rice with my meals, but I can have that every day depending on what the white rice is accompanying. 

7. I love certain kind of potato chips, but I try not to eat too much of it. I'll substitute potato chips for popcorn most of the time. A couple of my favorites: kettle popcorn, regular salted popcorn and light butter popcorn.

8. There are times when I want a cheeseburger so I'll go and order one. But I don't have a problem as far as over-indulging in burgers. 

Things I do overindulge in that instantly comes to mind:
1. Chocolate Chip cookies (soft-baked or hard)
2. Brownies
3. Strawberries
4. Strawberry and Banana smoothie
5. Sugarfree Red Bull
6. Blondies (when I can find them - so yummy)
7. Popcorn
8. Mom's cooking (not all the time which is great, but her filipino dishes are wonderful)
9. Kit Kat
10. Cheese and crackers

I never deny myself of what I am craving to eat because I find that I'll be substituting the hunger/craving for other things, thinking about what I *really* wanted to eat and not be satisfied in the end and just be completely unhappy and grumpy. So I give into what I am craving for that moment and eat slow and not eat too much to stuff myself. When I'm full, I'm full and don't have a problem seeing little or tons of leftovers on my plate. 

My big problem is with the chocolate chip cookies - I love to eat them! I have recently discovered Fresh & Easy's chocolate chip cookies and they are sooo good! I grab a bag of these when I am craving the soft-baked variety. For cookie crunch cravings, I've been getting Archer Farms chocolate chip and pecan cookies. 

I think this post resulted because I'm actually hungry!

Question: Do you overindulge in anything on the list? not on the list?


2 comments:

  1. Remember when you were little and would hide a box of chocolate chip cookies in your bed? hah hah!

    On that list, I would say my biggest indulgence would be soft drinks (of course, Coke!) except, I've cut down a lot since college and when I started working there. But, if I don't have it everyday, I think it's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally remember that! I remember snuggling with a Chips Ahoy bag/box when it was time to sleep.

    I still have chocolate chip cookies not very far (on dresser or bedside table) at night!

    Soda is fine in moderation. I guess my fave is 7-Up. Glad you cut back though!

    ReplyDelete