Thursday, June 4, 2009

Purple Violets



"I don't want to be sad, 'cause being sad sucks." (quote by Debra Messing in Purple Violets)

One night when I was staying up late to study, I took a much-needed break to snack and zone out and turned on the television and started watching 'Purple Violets' a film by Edward Burns on HBO. The movie was the first feature film to premier as an itunes exclusive in 2007.

I LOVE this movie! I have my favorites and this is one film I would certainly not get tired of watching over and over again. I did like 'She's The One', but I like this Burns film a whole lot more and think (IMO) it's one of the best addition to his collection. I also enjoy watching Patrick Wilson films (the memorable Raoul from Phantom of the Opera, the pedophile in Hard Candy, and the Mr. Mom in Little Children), but it was the soundtrack that sealed the movie and made it to my list of favorites.

The soundtrack by P.T. Walkley and The Blue Jackets complimented the complex characters throughout the film while intertwining their lives into a story that flowed beautifully enough to get me hooked and made me forget I had to 1) refill the pet water bowl and 2) absorb some new information I had to study for. I don't have the soundtrack yet, but I really, really, really want it. It's kind of rare to find a movie and score that fits together perfectly like the movie 'Amelie' for example, but this is one of those movies that actually do find harmony between the two.

Here is the trailer for the movie:

No comments:

Post a Comment