Saturday, May 2, 2009

Marcel Proust


I came across a modest collection of quotes I put together in 2002 or 2003 and I was quite impressed at the organization of how I compiled them. I completely forgot about it and it was amusing and heartfelt to read at the same time. Perhaps if I'm in the mood I'll post a few quotes of what I had written in my collection to share with you.

Since I am in the mood today and completely awake, I have to start with my favorite novelist (and essayist), Marcel Proust. He is known for writing Remembrance of Things Past (In Search of Lost Time), which was considered his masterpiece and quite a very moving piece in my opinion.

A little info on Marcel Proust:

Born July 10, 1871 in Auteuil, France, Proust was born to wealthy bourgeois parents. While making rounds as a young man in Parisian society, it was then that he began his writing. Proust was homosexual. After the death of his parents, he became a recluse and started writing his masterpiece novel roughly after 1907. He died in 1922. He is considered one of the great literary figures of modern times.

"It is wasted effort to seek to evoke our past. All efforts of our intelligence are useless. It is hidden beyond the intellect's domain and reach, in some material object we do not suspect."
Marcel Proust, Remembrance of Things Past

No comments:

Post a Comment