Monday, August 3, 2009

Dublin: Week 4 - Guinness Factory



MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!
WE HAVE COMPLETED IRELAND'S #1 INTERNATIONAL VISITOR ATTRACTION.

A dream for many (and many drunks). Some people plan their holidays for this trip to the brewery alone. What is more interesting than I would have imagined, is that you don't actually go inside to the actual brewery. So sorry to break it to you people who have this image of actually walking through the actual brewery and thinking you can see people at work preparing that nice pint of stout you have in your hands on a Friday or Saturday night. And if you saw that one episode of Conan O'Brien visiting Ireland many years back (you know, when he said Shaquille O'Neal was the most famous Irish man in the US to a classroom of kiddies) and going through the brewery and imagined that as the actual Guinness tour experience, one must know that those tours were only meant for special people and special shows, not for you or me. Sorry to break it to you . Better you know now than be a sucker in the end. 

The tour itself is a cool experience. The Guinness Fermentation Plant is a 7 level visitor experience dedicated to the history and making of the beer. The building is designed in the shape of a giant pint of Guinness. And you know what? If it was full, it would contain 14.3 million pints! I'm sure you drunkards must be excited already at that thought. Not much of a beer drinker at all, but the ticket includes a nice, refreshing complimentary pint of Guinness that you can sip or chug (for the drunkards) at the Gravity Bar that has a 360 degree view of Dublin City. And you can't get seconds, you drunks. I don't know how many times I heard people ask if they can order another one. It's one per ticket and they don't have a cash register because they don't sell it there. Maybe if you are ever there and want some more, you can take if off of tables of people who can't finish their pint, like me! Tastes good, but TOO TOO filling = TOO TOO many calories. I definitely don't want to go home with a beer belly - gross. 

FUN FACT:

Arthur Guinness was definitely the man. In 1759, at the age of 34, he signed a 9000 year-lease for the St. James' Gate Brewery (home of Guinness plant and unused at that time) at an annual rent of £45. They should name it Forever Guinness. And from what I remember during the bus ride there was that the porter that everyone loves today was developed accidently by Guinness during the brewing process. 


OK people, here is the game plan. It's a self-guided tour so I'll meet ya at the top of that pint of the glass, where the frothy stuff sits, the Gravity Bar. Be there or be square.



The 1st ingredient, barley, looked like one huge litter/sand box.

"Look Ma and Pa, I am touching kitty litter, oops, barley. Watch it cascade through my finger tips!" Sure felt nice though since I enjoy simple pleasures like dipping my hands/fingers in rice and feeling the cool grains against my hands/fingers - bliss!
 





What a way to introduce the 3rd ingredient by having a waterfall. It's water if you haven't guessed the 3rd ingredient - pay attention!

I'll admit, we're suckers for a nice waterfall!





Tasting laboratory! Yipee! Where we get to sample a shot of Guinness.
"Taste test - mother approved!

A successful taste test indeed!





Ooh, vintage bottles!



Peeking out the window to a not so cute view.


Break time.



Trying to convince everyone how good it is for one's health.


Finally we have reached end destination: The Gravity Bar! Our complimentary pints await.

Taking in the panoramic views with a porter in hand.



As you can see, I am done with my Guinness at this point. It was a good run but I will stick to vodka, wine or Jameson whiskey please. I'll even take Bulmers.



We made it! Ta-da!!!
Makes me want to break out in song.
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay, my oh my, what a wonderful day!








We were so ecstatic to get back on the bus seeing it was 1/2 empty and super duper excited that we finally had the rooftop back all to ourselves for the most part!

Marisol, owner of the back of the bus.

Yeah, this is my space too! Woo-hoo!

Bye Bye Guinness!!! I'll see you in hand another time I'm sure!


2 comments:

  1. I loved this post :)! I miss the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you and Aileen were there! You would LOVE the tour and Dublin! I miss you tons! xo

    ReplyDelete