Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dublin: Week 5

You will have no idea how much I am craving Mexican food since living in Dublin for the summer. How perfect was it when both of my roommates mentioned they were having people over for a Fiesta party!!! Mexican food!!! After an afternoon out in the city doing a little shopping, Marisol and I thought it would be a grand idea to pick up a bottle of Tequila for the party. 

We stopped by Mark and Spencers market to grab a bottle of Tequila and asked one of the workers if he could direct us to an aisle where they have the Tequila. I guess he doesn't know much about Tequila because he asked me if it was wine and I told him it wasn't (didn't want to complicate the matter and say, "well, it is an agave spirit") and then he asked me what shade is it so I told him him, "um, well they can be clear to light brown" and then he said he knows he had seen that. Then he asked me how is it usually served so I said "you know, like in margaritas and shots with some salt and lime." So we waited while he looked around and I didn't have the heart to say it's OK because he was insistent that he did see it and they do sell it there. When he came back he told me that he asked one of his bosses and I guess they don't sell it there or they were sold out so we thanked him and he wished us good luck on finding it. And to think I was actually going to be picky and want Patron over Cuervo for the night if I had a choice. 

So we went to Tesco where we found only one kind of Tequila, yup, you guessed it, Jose Cuervo which also happened to be the 2nd to the last bottle on the shelf. We grabbed it and took the bus back home. 

When we arrived the party was out in the courtyard area. Our roommates are a part of an american internship summer group and the group is huge. Hung out for a bit and everyone made the long walk down Shanowen to ride in style hopping on the Dublin bus (or party bus from what it seemed that night with a big group) and head over to the city ending up at Messrrs Maguire pub. 

Jaime, Marisol, Caitlinn  (one of our roommates) and me.


Whoever took this photo must have accidently zoomed in because this photo is just too off and weird.


During our 1st or 2nd week here, we spotted Mexico to Rome restaurant in the Temple Bar area. I know what you may be thinking because I was thinking the same thing "Mexico --> Rome?!?!?!?". But hey, we have been craving Mexican food since we got here so this was definitely an option. My "Mexican" dish for that night was Chicken Enchiladas and I didn't know that it was a do-it-n-wrap-yourself chicken enchilada! Here is a crappy phone pic of my lovely Mexican dish that night.

Jealous much?!?! The entree was just OK or so-so. What I was doing a lot of that night was dipping my flour tortillas pieces into the "salsa" and guacamole since I don't like sour cream too much and probably because my meal sucked. At least my margarita was strong, in fact a lil' too strong.


We also found an Acapulco Restaurant (Yes, Acapulco Restaurant - I LOVE Acapulco) nearby a few weeks ago. We took the bus to O'Connell Street and hailed a taxi (who happened to be a taxi driver we had before!) and told him "please take us to the Acapulco Restaurant on So. Great Georges." It wasn't that far from where he picked us up that he didn't even charge us. And I'm sure it's because he remembered us so we tipped him generously anyway for being such a cool taxi guy. 

We shared chips and salsa which was a lot of chips and a little of the blended salsa and a side of guacamole. I was sparing the salsa and the guacamole as much as possible since we sure knew we weren't going to get refills on the salsa. We both ordered the steak burrito and it was pretty good. Instead of a log shaped burrito, our steak burrito was wrapped neatly into a nice little quadrilateral. It was cute. The square shaped burrito was enough to satisfy our Mexican cravings and we even had enough room to share a chocolate fudge cake. Delicious! Didn't take any photos because how could I think of taking photos when I am starving?!
  
Quotes of the day by Jane Austen

"It sometimes happens that a woman is handsomer at twenty-nine than she was ten years before."

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."

"Nothing is more deceitful than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion and sometimes and indirect boast."

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That is some nasty looking enchiladas! When you get back I promise to take you straight to some high quality Mexican food! Del Taco.... I mean Pepe's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, didn't you read my entry? I want Acapulcos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said high quality Mexican, Acapulco is good but come on! Pepes is the truest of the true. You're right though Acapulco is good! So you win, Acapulco it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. king taco?

    love jane austen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ ness: Yes, King Taco! I forgot about that place!

    And I do know how much you love Jane Austen! She is a brilliant writer and an awesome woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mexico to rome hahahaha

    bet it didnt taste anything deliciously close to mexican food... tisk tisk

    ReplyDelete