Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dublin: 4 cont'd with photos

Note: It is becoming increasingly difficult to update on a daily basis as I have been busy in the lab and too tired to update once I get back to the apartment if we are not venturing off somewhere. Aaahh, but one might be thinking, "but you are on a vacay, you have time to do stuff like that". Well, I did come here to work  - duh! So, I'll do the best and just update when I can, just not daily since there are times when I am just working in the lab and there isn't much to talk about during or after. I will of course update with highlights of my trip as there have been many. The workshop got us super busy and wore us out and we are now working on our project for the proposal.

Here is the 1st part of the video featuring the animal print romper limbo guy. He was hyping it up before he went low-low-low-low (think Apple Bottom song) in previous video I had posted. 

Don't be too jealous of his amazing flexibility, strength, dancing skills or his one piece animal print romper with matching (i think) head wrap!

Sorry the video was shaky, my arm was getting tired holding the camera up. And it was packed with people and it didn't help I had this giant right in front of me that would not budge and I couldn't move around since everyone was pretty much arm-to-arm that close. I felt like kicking the giant in the back of one of his knees to see him come down for a sec. 

TALL PEOPLE IN THE BACK PLEASE!





Temple Bar
This area is sandwiched between Dame Street and the River Liffey. Origins can be traced back to Anglo-Irish Sir William Temple, who purchased the land bounding the river in the 16th century. He also enjoyed promenading with his family by the river. Did you know that the word 'bar' means riverside path?? Well, I didn't either, the more you know right?! Anyway, the area slowly started to decline because the shallow waters of the Liffey forced the docks towards the eastern areas leading Temple Bar to deteriorate leaving their dark alleys to be filled with only the poorest of the poorest bunch in Ireland. :(

Residents and artists in the 80s formed a lobbying group to save the Temple Bar and preserve the buildings around the area. Happy ending, the Irish Gov't supported their cause and formed an organization called Temple Bar Properties to save and preserve the area. Currently, this is the cultural center of the city and a place to go for shopping, hanging out, eating, bar hopping. 





Marisol and I in the Beer Garden area in Temple Bar.




River Liffey
The River Liffey flows through the city of Dublin and separates the city into the north and south sides. Most people prefer one side over the other and are proud of their preference. So which side is favorable or better is dependent on who you are speaking to. 







Statue of Daniel O'Connell, 19th century nationalist leader for who the widely known O'Connell street was named after.


<

O'Connell Street with the Dublin Spire in the background.


The only brave one to limbo with super limbo guy. I wasn't feeling flexible that day since I have been sans yoga for a few weeks. :( 
 

1 comment:

  1. I like this post, very educational! Now... where can I learn to do hand-stand push-ups???

    ReplyDelete