Friday, July 31, 2009

Dublin: Cooking for Two and Penny Pinching

Marisol and I have been on a slightly tight budget since we have been in Dublin. Not so tight that we can't enjoy ourselves or anything, but tight meaning my habits (especially) of eating/dining out like I usually do back at home have been reduced significantly. Therefore, it is necessary that we must cook something for ourselves to save money and spend it on things that do count such as alcohol (just kidding, or am I???), my snack cravings and late night taxi rides if we are out because buses stop running around 11pm. Just kidding! 

We are both still waiting (for what seems like forever) on some funding for the trip/program so once that comes in, along with my reimbursements, it is ON. We want to fly out to either Barcelona, Italy or Prague. I would LOVE to go to Italy, but when I last checked, fares were pretty expensive. Perhaps, I will let Ryan Air decide my holiday getaway once those checks get in. Definitely going outside of Dublin is a must as well. 

So far we have been pretty good and go to the grocery store once a week evenly splitting the bill. Remember I mentioned that you need to BYOB (bring your own bag) when you go to the grocery store or pay for a flimsy little plastic  bag??? Well, every week I have been bringing along my little roller hand-carry with us to load our groceries in. At first I felt awkward carrying that thing around, but when I see people at the check-out carrying lots of little bags and heaving them away, carefully trying to not spill things, I let out a nice big smile knowing that we can zip that baby away with ease and find time to stroll around the mall a bit and pick up a smoothie to take with us on the walk back home. 

Last week I cooked up my favorite 20 minute meatloaf and Marisol made some delicious rice to accompany the ground chuck. That 1 1/4 pound chuck yielded 6 oval sized patties to provide us 3 meals. Not bad. An odd thing is their tomato sauce here. For some reason, their tomato sauce comes with "Italian" chopped tomatoes. The recipe just needs plain tomato sauce and I couldn't find anything without the chopped stuff. I did also buy tomato puree which guess what?? It was pretty much the equivalent to the tomato sauce back at home. The pureed one home is much thicker but every day here has  been "the more you know" kind of thing. 

Sometimes we don't always eat full meals and have been managing on snacks and ham and cheese sandwiches or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Oh yeah, we have been having a lot of fruit and fiber cereal from Tesco which is soooo good. I'm almost tempted to bring some boxes home but I'd rather bring excess of new clothes instead from shopping trips.

What I have been cooking a lot of is the chicken broccoli casserole my brother's girlfriend, Anna (recipe she got from Christine) makes at home. I usually just help her prepare it but here I have been making it every week and it is so good and Marisol loves it. Usually  Anna makes it using a 13 X 9 inch pan, but we don't have that kind of luxury (heck, we don't even have a spatula!) so we have been using the little individual sized foil containers we saved from our chinese take away during week 1.

Can't you just see how green we have become since arriving here???

It works out well because that way we can make it and have our own pans to eat from. 

The broccoli chicken casserole is easy to make using a few basic ingredients and it is delicious. All you need it white rice (we have been using Tesco brand boil-a-bag long grain - great invention!!!), shredded chicken breast, steamed broccoli, cream of mushroom + mayo + curry powder for the sauce, and grated cheddar cheese to top. You then let it bake in the oven until the cheese melts since everything is already cooked. YUM.

I had intended to do a tutorial but after everything was cooked and ready to be layered and thrown in the oven that idea was tossed out the window because we just couldn't wait to chow down. Maybe next time. 



Not the cutest thing in the world but it sure taste DELICIOUS!!! Actually, the mini-sized containers actually do it make it cute.



I wanted to take photos of it side by side, but as you can see, we couldn't wait to eat it.

The "kitchen" shelf above Marisol's desk in her room.


I'll also post one on the 20 minute meatloaf when I have time. Being in Dublin sparked my creative side in terms of cooking based on what we have left in our fridge. Hahaha. For instance, I made eggs (eggies) in a blanket today for breakfast. Turned out very good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment