Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dublin: Week 2 - Trinity College

Hello!
Follow me as I make my journey into Trinity College. I will lead of course.



I have a slew of photos from my 2nd week in Dublin that I will post and divide in parts. 

I will start from the bottom blog post with Trinity College and up to the top ending the night. Very typical of how I like to dress myself/choose outfits: dress from bottom to top meaning, I select outfits based on what pair of heels/flats/sandals/boots/etc I want to use for that particular day or night. It has been effective thus far. If it's not broken, why fix it, right?! So I shall apply my choice of dressing strategy for my blog posting. Hooray!

Actually, they were ALL taken on the one day we decided to do the brilliant hop-on-hop-off bus tour through the city center. And for most obvious reasons, I do happen to be wearing the same outfit you know! We started off the day around 12pm (yes, I like to sleep in and take my time!) and did a whole bunch of things ending the night at can you guess where??? No, really, guess!!! What would a night in Dublin be without ending a nice long day at a pub! I'd question your sanity, possibly thought processes and good ol' common sense if you thought otherwise, no, really I would. 

We didn't have time to stop at all the places in the bus tour we wanted to, but hey, that's for another time and post, I'm certain. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I now present my recap of Week 2 in Dublin starting with Trinity College.

Trinity College
Right smack in the center of the hustle and bustle of modern Dublin lies Trinity College. The oldest university in Ireland houses the Book of Kells, which is arguably one of the most beautifully illuminated manuscripts in the world. The college was founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth I. 

Book of Kells
The Book of Kells (along with other ancient illuminated manuscripts) are housed in the darkened treasury on the ground floor of Trinity College. It is a superbly illustrated transcription of the Gospels written on vellum. Monastatic scribes demonstrated highly imaginative sublime art with figures of humans and animals and intricate Celtic patterns. 
Story was that the book was discovered in Kells town and was created by four Irish monks off the coast of Scotland who were escaping the Vikings that invaded Ireland. They completed the book in Kells hence the name. 















I sure would not have wanted to be on his bad side during his time! His essence was definitely captured in the statue. I wouldn't know whether to hide or pack his tobacco pipe for him! 

Why look o'er yonder what beholds us?!


My, what big door to match your big windows you have!


Captivated by the magnificent ebony double doors did I dare wait with eagerness that someone will hear my calls and knocks.


But alas, like all other things, my desires were not heard so I resort to abandoning my position as the faithful abiding and serving citizen I am and proceed to turn the knob (which by the way, was a knob of such height! ) anxious to plead out loud, "Please let this good citizen enter through these majestic ebony doors so that I can fulfill my curious senses to find what may lie behind those doors!" Yup, didn't work. 
As I relinquished my hopes in having the ebony doors open, the brave and determined Marisol makes similar attempts at the door.
 
Marisol turning the golden knob only to be disappointed that no one can hear our calls.


The Book of Kells this way over my face and you will find the entrance. The only photo I could take indicative of my visit to The Book of Kells since photos were not allowed. Boo-hoo :(
The Book of Kells is really something ultra spectacular to see. 

Sitting in front of Trinity College.

Still sitting and rotating to the right about 20 degrees.


Allo to you too my sweet teeny-bopper friends passing by.

My view of Grafton Street while waiting for the green hop-on-hop-off tour bus.




No comments:

Post a Comment